Online Memory Improvement Course
These mnemonics can be applied immediately, although it certainly pays off to practice them first. All of these mnemonics are based on elaboration and association, which why we start out with these. Elaboration adds more meaning to a word, while association makes sure that two words are thoroughly linked together in memory.
In the simplest version of this technique, a peg words is associated with each of the digits 1 to 10. It is then possible to associate the peg word with things-to-remember, for example, a shopping list or a speech. Variants include peg systems for the alphabet and months of the year. Peg mnemonics allow more advanced mental filing than the basic mnemonics. Most of these techniques can be learned in 20 to 30 minutes, although it requires some practice to get the most use out of them.
- Rhyming Peg System for numbers 1-10 or 1-20
- Shape Peg System for numbers 1-10
- Alphabet Peg System for letters A-Z
- Calendar Peg System for months January to December
This technique requires a greater time investment (at least two hours, plus regular practice afterwards), but the pay-offs are considerable, such as remembering lists of over 100 items.
- Phonetic Mnemonic for numbers 00-100 and higher
- Expanding existing mnemonic systems
- Advanced mental filing
- Names and faces
- To-do lists and shopping lists
- Speeches and lectures
- Birthdates and other dates
- Pin-codes and other numbers